Monday, February 4, 2008

Pumpkin Cheesecake

This is another recipe I got from my Dad. The end result has a creamy smooth pumpkin pie flavor. He claims it's based on a recipe from a cooking class he took but that he was too lazy to follow the steps and just mixed it all in a single bowl. Which works well enough for me.

16oz Cream Cheese (1 tub, or 2 bar packages)
3/4 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla
3 Eggs
1 Cup Canned Pumpkin
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg

Combine Cream Cheese, Sugar and Vanilla at medium speed in your mixer until well blended. Add eggs one at a time, mix well between each. Add pumpkin and spices. Mix until well blended.

Bake at 350° for 55 minutes. When done the filling will have swelled up and be a golden brown on top. It will shrink when cooled.

Variations and Serving Suggestions:

In a crust: We used a pre-made gluten free pie crust. I usually have a bit of pumpkin mix left over and make a crustless. Next time I think I'll try a graham cracker crust. (We have a GF Graham Cracker Crumb bag I forgot we had until after I made the pie). You really can't go wrong with this. Once baked, cooled and sliced I recommend a small dollop of Whipped Cream. I say small because this is already a creamy base.

Crustless: We have these ceramic dishes that are about 2 inches deep and about 6 inches in diameter. They work very well for the left over filling from a standard crusted pie.

Individual: I've been considering getting these little 2-3 inch diameter ramekins and doing them as individual serving size. It should work but I would check the cheese cake about 10-15 minutes earlier. Just in case.

This is always a hit with the guests. In fact it is was so much of a hit at Thanksgiving that making one for the Super Bowl was almost a given.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I want some pumpkin cheesecake.