Monday, February 4, 2008

Chili con Carne

This recipe comes to me from my dad with a few modifications since I like a chunky meaty chili with a very thick sauce. When I made this for the Super Bowl I didn't have Cayenne and substituted a dash or two of red pepper flakes and I think it made it a touch too spicy. So this is a work in progress.

1 Medium Onion, Chopped
1 lb Ground Turkey or Beef
1 lb Can Crushed Tomatos
1 6oz Can of Tomato Paste
2 8oz Cans of Kidney Beans (undrained)
3 Tsp Chili Powder
1/8 Tsp Salt
Dash of Cayenne Pepper

Brown the ground meat and onions, drain. Add everything else. Simmer for at LEAST 15 to 20 minutes. For our Super Bowl party I simmered everything for 2-3 hours. I had planned to put it into a crock pot but things got too hectic and I just left it in the pot I started it in.

Variations: According to my dad, the recipe base is 1/4 lb meat, 8oz tomato (crushed, puree, sauce, etc), 8oz beans and chili powder to taste. In other words the room for variation is pretty big depending on how thick, chunky, etc you want the final product. He suggests different (or several) variaties of beans, different meats and different tomato types.

Serving Suggestions: I recommend serving with a sprinkle of finely shredded sharp chedder either in a bowl or on spooned onto Ritz crackers.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hmmm... I want some chili.