Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Matt's Meat Loaf

Personally I'm a fan of a good meat loaf, if only because it's so easy to make, so versatile in serving and the left overs are almost worth it in and of themselves. This recipe is based on a few I found online, in recipe books and what was in my head all mashed together.

1 1/2 lbs of Ground Beef or Turkey
1/2 Cup of GF bread crumbs (I used Ener-G myself)
2 Eggs, Beaten
1/4 Cup chopped onions
1/2 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp Pepper
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1/4 Cup Water

Directions: Mix thoroughly, pack into a loaf pan. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 1 hour. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing.

I found that the fat/grease from the turkey coagulated on the edges of the loaf during baking and was easily removed. I have heard of meatloaf pans that basically allow you to drain the fat while cooking perhaps this would prevent that.

Serving Suggestions:

The standard, as far as I'm concerned, is to serve the loaf hot from the oven with mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Yum.

On the other hand I think left overs should be served on GF bread in sandwich form. Hot or cold. If hot, I recommend a little bit of ketchup to dip but other than that I'm not a fan of any toppings.

1 comment:

Beth said...

What are you making for Easter? ;)